Bear Butte Gardens
Yesterday, Shirley posted about the benefits of CSA subscriptions. Now is the time to sign up for a CSA share for this summer. The farmers are already planting and planning for this summer season. We have developed a listing and description of the CSAs in the Black Hills area available this summer. CSAs can vary considerably in produce, length of season, price, and pick-up options. Several local CSAs have multiple options to choose from allowing customers to customize their CSA share to best fit their tastes and needs.
Battle Creek Gardens: Matt and Deidre Dealy are farming at Battle Creek Gardens this year with pick-up locations in Hermosa and Rapid City. Battle Creek Gardens is a Certified Naturally Grown farm which requires that they uphold and oftentimes exceed organic requirements. They currently grow a wide variety (over 60) of vegetables and herbs. They also produce some berries and melons. Many varieties are specialty and heirloom varieties not commonly found in the everyday grocery store. Deidre adds:
Battle Creek Gardens is offering a couple of different options for our CSA program this year. We offer the traditional model CSA share in either 15 or 30 week intervals. Additionally, we are offering a Market-style, or buy down, share in which the CSA ‘balance’ can also be ‘spent’ online or at our Farmer’s market stand. This adds flexibility to your produce options. Our Market-style shares are limited this season, as this is a trial run to see if it is a good fit for our farm. If you are interested in a Market-style share, we recommend signing up as soon as possible to reserve your spot. Please see our website for more information!
- Pick-up times: Mondays, 4:30-6:00 PM at The Rapid City Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4703 South Canyon Rd., Rapid City, SD 57702 OR Mondays, 3:00-6:00 PM at Battle Creek Gardens, 13815 Battle Creek Rd, Hermosa, SD 57744
- Session and price: Members may sign up for one or two consecutive fifteen week sessions available for $350 each.
- Website: www.battlecreekgardens.com
Bear Butte Gardens: Rick and Michelle Grosek have a certified organic farm CSA serving Sturgis. They grow all of the common vegetables of this region (peas, radishes, spinach, leaf lettuce, green peppers, summer squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, winter squash, etc.) plus some specialties (rainbow swiss chard, asian greens, broccoli, sweet potatoes, hot peppers, roasting peppers, garlic). Many varieties are heirlooms. This year they will also have some certified organic chicken available.
- Pick-up times: CSA members can choose one of two options for pick-up, both in Sturgis: a weekday afternoon pick-up in Sturgis or a Saturday morning pick-up at the Sturgis Farmer’s Market.
- Session and price: 15 weeks from early June to late September for $375
- Phone: 605.490.2919
- e-mail: Michelle@BearButteGardens.com
- Website: www.BearButteGardens.com
Cycle Farm: Trish Jenkins and Jeremy Smith have an organic (not certified) farm supplying vegetables to customers in the Spearfish area.
Harmony Enterprises: Lyn Miller is in his eighteenth year farming and tenth year offering CSA shares. He has shares available for Chadron, NE, Rapid City, and possibly one other community in the area (Hot Springs/ Custer/Alliance?) if there is enough interest. His produce is organic (not certified) and his animal products are not 100% organic, but are, as Joel Salatin refers to it “nearly organic”, cage free, etc. Typically customers will see, in season, a multitude of greens, peas, onions, radish, beets, potatoes, summer squash, winter squash, melons, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet corn, cucumbers, usually featuring anywhere between 3-10 varieties of each. Lyn also offers different options to the basic CSA, at additional pricing such as eggs, broiler/fryer chicken, sometimes turkey, beef and honey, depending on interest.
- Pick-up times: Still to be determined. Probably at the farmers markets on Saturdays for Chadron and Tuesday or Thursday afternoon/evening in Rapid City.
- Session and price: Lyn will tentatively offer three seasons this year: Spring (5 weekly pickups in June for $150.00); Summer/Fall (17 weeks July through October for $510.00) and if interest warrants, he may offer a 3 week “Thanksgiving” CSA season for $75.00.
- Phone: 308.432.3640
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.harmony-ent.com
Joy Farm: Nisajoy Kerr has an organic (not certified) permaculture farm 25 miles east of Rapid City. Joy Farm is reclaiming the land of the old Farmingdale Post Office and General Store. She offers CSA shares in Rapid City and Pine Ridge. Vegetables include: Salad mixed greens, Arugula, Kale, Rainbow Chard, Radish, Baby Carrots, Kohlrabi, Herbs, Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Summer Squash, Cucumbers, Beets, Radish, Onions, Carrots, Fresh Flowers, Squash, Melons, Corn, Pumpkin, Potatoes
***Herbs will include Dill, Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Sage, Oregano, Thyme, Chamomile
Her chickens are fed sprouted wheat, vegetable scraps, and organic dried kelp.
- Pick-up times: home delivery in Rapid City Saturday mornings.
- Session and price: $300 for about 18 weeks this summer or $360 to include one dozen eggs per week. Double share for $500. Bumper Harvest Extra basket for about $40, great for canning.
- e-mail: email@example.com
- Website: clov3r.us/joyfarm
Valley Berry Farm: Joe and Sheila Hillberry have a small CSA supplying fruits and vegetables to customers in Rapid City. They are fully subscribed at this time.